The Canadian On Paper Society for Immigrant Physicians Equality (COPSIPE) is a non-profit society that was incorporated in BC, Canada in July, 2020 and was registered as a charity in January 2023. The purposes of the society are:
- To improve the moral and ethical development of the community by promoting respect for human rights in accordance with the Canadian Constitution, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, federal and provincial legislation, and relevant international covenants and agreements to which Canada is a signatory, and by informing and educating the public and government officials on human rights issues faced by immigrant physicians and international medical graduates in Canada.
- To uphold the administration and enforcement of human rights laws as specified in the Canadian Constitution, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, federal and provincial legislation, and relevant international covenants and agreements to which Canada is a signatory, by facilitating legal advice and representation to enforce the human rights of immigrant physicians and international medical graduates in Canada.
- To undertake activities ancillary and incidental to the attainment of the above-mentioned charitable purposes.
The objective of human rights is to foster a society of understanding and mutual respect where all are equal in dignity and rights and where there are no impediments to full and free participation in the economic, social, political and cultural life in the provinces and territories of Canada.
The purpose of our society is to eliminate systemic barriers so that the dignity and rights of refugees and immigrants are more than just words.
Currently, the directors of the society include:
- Dr. Vahid Nilforushan, President
- Dr. Navid Pooyan, Vice-President and Treasurer
- Dr. Patricia Mahecha, Secretary
- Dr. Jasmik Saini
If you share our interests, you are more than welcome to become a member of our society by applying here. Alternatively, if you would like to support us without becoming a member, you may provide us with your information by Clicking Here
Meet the Team
Dr. Vahid Nilforushan, president
Dr. Vahid Nilforushan is an anesthesiologist who was well-known and highly respected as a physician and assistant professor of anesthesiology at a leading university in Tehran, Iran. His establishment of an effective inpatient addiction treatment center in Iran drew the attention of the United Nations. Since immigrating, he has excelled at all exams necessary for Canadian credential recognition. He worked in supervised clinical settings for 3 years in Vancouver and conducted research. He has been training other IMGs for Canadian clinical skills exams as well. Unfair barriers prevent Vahid from becoming licensed. He is currently the president of the Canadian On Paper Society for Immigrant Physicians Equality and is one of the complainants in the current BC Human Rights Case.
Dr. Navid Pooyan, vice president
Dr. Navid Pooyan is an immigrant physician and international medical graduate that did his residency in family medicine at the University of British Columbia. He currently practices medicine in a community clinic in BC. He has always been an advocate for immigrant physicians and ending the discrimination against them. He is also one of the complainants in the human rights case against health authorities for discrimination of immigrant physicians.
Dr. Jasmik Saini
Dr. Jasmik Saini began his academic career at the University of Toronto where he completed his undergraduate studies in Human Biology and Health Studies. Prior to obtaining his MD degree, Dr. Saini was a committed public health researcher. He was awarded a research fellowship by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research where his work focused on expanding and integrating social and public health policies with the delivery of community health services in Canada and abroad. He has an MPH from the University of Toronto with a specialization in epidemiology and global health.